The History of Minnesota School of Cosmetology
Minnesota School of Cosmetology carries on a strong tradition of educational excellence that began with the establishment of Minnesota Cosmetology Education Center (MCEC) in 1950. Originally housed in a converted home, MCEC expanded and updated its facilities and curriculum over the years—but the school has always stayed true to its focus of providing relevant, hands-on training for the beauty industry.
In 2003, Terry and Kaye Myhre acquired MCEC and renamed it Minnesota School of Cosmetology. Today, the school attracts students from throughout Minnesota and surrounding states. MSC provides student training and services to the Minneapolis-St. Paul community from two convenient locations in Woodbury and Plymouth. Both facilities feature professional salon-style clinic floors with industry-standard equipment, providing students with extensive, hands-on training in a real-world setting.
Nationally Accredited Cosmetology School
Both our campuses are accredited by National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. NACCAS is listed as a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education as a national accrediting agency for cosmetology schools. Minnesota School of Cosmetology is licensed by the state of Minnesota.
Broadview Education Consortium
Minnesota School of Cosmetology (MSC) is part of the Broadview Education Consortium (BEC), a consortium of career colleges located across the U.S. Members of BEC benefit from common corporate support and a wealth of shared resources. Member schools include the following:
Expand Your Education within the Broadview Education Consortium
BEC schools work together to provide exceptional opportunities for students. As an example, your training at Minnesota School of Cosmetology could earn you credit toward a bachelor’s degree in business management with a salon and spa management emphasis from Broadview University. Others may choose to expand the list of services they are able to provide clients by enrolling in our massage therapy program.
Learn more about educational opportunities that build on cosmetology training.
*Transfer policies are subject to accrediting and licensing standards. Please see your campus dean for more information about this process.
Minnesota School of Cosmetology Mission
At Minnesota School of Cosmetology, our mission is to educate, motivate and prepare our students for a career in cosmetology arts and sciences. Our goals are to:
- Train students to successfully pass the certification and state licensure exam.
- Provide relevant training and industry-related information.
- Provide ongoing career search assistance to graduates seeking employment in their field of study.
- Provide a learning environment that encourages and motivates students.
- Instill a sense of professionalism in each student.
Committed to our Students and Community
We are committed to educating, training and preparing students for a successful career in the cosmetology industry. We strive to fulfill that commitment to our students, and the employers that may hire them, through the following objectives:
- Provide education and training leading to diplomas.
- Provide academic and support services to serve the needs of our students.
- Provide the knowledge and skills to support immediate employment goals.
- Provide a foundation of knowledge to prepare students for future career advancement.
- Provide a system of curriculum review to ensure appropriate and current programs for our students.
- Maintain relationships with industry leaders through program advisory boards to provide state-of-the industry technology and current business practices.
- Provide lifelong career-search skills for our graduates.
- Provide an environment to empower our students to reach their full potential in their field of study.