Minnesota School of Cosmetology Response to Covid-19
CARES Act Grant Information:
As part of the CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF), we are publicly disclosing the allocation of these emergency funds through the links below.
Our educators and staff have been preparing for your return. MSC- Woodbury Campus director discusses what MSC has done to safely prepare for reopening in this video. We are all very excited to bring our family back together. Below are some items you will need to know when returning on June 1, 2020:
- Employees, Students, and visitors are required to wear face masks at all times. A face mask is now considered a required article of the dress code.
- Employees, Students, and visitors are being instructed to source their own masks, including non-medical cloth masks. You will be responsible to clean your mask daily before returning to school.
- A documented employee and student questionnaire will be required on the first day returning to the campus, subsequent days will require a verbal acknowledgement of the health screening checklist.
- We will practice 6-feet social distancing, each classroom will not exceed 10-people per room.
- There will be no person-to-person contact, this includes no hugs, handshakes, high fives, or fist bumps. Quotas will be completed on manikins and yourself, until further guidance is provided by our external regulators.
- On the first day, students will attend a required preparedness plan training, including safety and sanitation refresher.
- Students and visitors must enter the campus through the designated entrances and exits as marked.
- A break schedule will be executed at the campus to minimize overcrowding in smaller areas, you will be encourage to take your breaks in the classroom, in the mall, outside, or in your car.
- There will be no communal food, such as potlucks or food sharing.
- Please only bring to campus items of necessity, other items should be left at home or locked (out of sight) in your car.
- Self-serve beverage stations and drinking fountains are not permitted, please plan accordingly.
We are all thrilled to have our family coming back together. I ask that during our first few days back you practice good listening skills, be compassionate to others, ask questions, and maintain a positive attitude. We are all navigating uncharted waters and we will work together to find solutions for any challenging moments. Please keep in mind that as new guidance is made available by our external regulators we will modify our preparedness plan and communicate those changes both on-campus and via email.
All students will return to their previous schedule. See you next week!
Effective Thursday June 18, MSC locations will begin to take limited client appointments with limited services. Clients will be required to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Clients will be required to remain in their vehicle until the time of their appointment. Limits will be adhered to for persons accompanying the client during the appointment. Clients will be by appointment only, no walk-ins. Appointments will only be made via phone. Appointments for clients will not be double/over booked, adequately allowing for proper cleaning and disinfecting time before and after each client.
- A pre-appointment symptoms screen will occur via phone. A client exhibiting symptoms or answers “yes” to the Visitor and Employee Health Screening Checklist will be asked to reschedule for a future appointment.
- All clients will be required to wear a face mask (non-medical cloth masks are acceptable) before, during, and after service delivery. In the event a client is unable to wear a face mask due to medical or physical ability, additional precautions will be taken including the servicer wearing a face mask and face shield.
- At arrival and check-in, clients will be asked to respond to the Visitor and Employee Health Screening Checklist and verify that they have read the screening-survey and can respond “no” to all questions. Clients will be denied services if the client cannot respond “no” to all questions and/or there is suspicion the client is sick or symptomatic.
- The reception area has been modified, removing the ability to sit, all magazines were disposed, and self-serve beverages are no longer available.
- Reduced cash handling will be encouraged through the use of client accessible credit card machines, including tips processed by the front desk team preferably via credit card.
- The appointment booking software will maintain appropriate records of clients, including date and time of appointment, first and last name, phone number, and email address. This is to ensure that the client can be contacted in the event a potential exposure is subsequently identified.
- Retail products for sale are limited for display, signage is posted indicated assistance is required for purchasing to limit handling.
- Capes will be cleaned and sanitized after each client use.
- Neck strips are to be used around the neck of each hair-cut client in addition to a cape.
- Students will wear a smock/apron while performing services. Smocks/aprons will be cleaned and sanitize after each client.
We intend to reopen operations in a three phase approach:
- Phase one will consist of our educators and staff returning to prepare for our students and attend COVID-19 Preparedness Plan training.
- Phase two will consist of our students returning with a required day of COVID-19 Preparedness Plan training.
- Phase three will consist of clients returning for services, date to be determined. It is critical that we bring our educators, staff, and students back to our campus safely and well-prepared prior to opening our doors to clients.
Please continue to monitor your school email and social media for updates on our reopening.
General Covid-19 Resources
- MN Department of Health: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/index.html
- WI Department of Health Services: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/index.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- MN National Alliance on Mental Illness: https://namimn.org/support/mental-health-support-and-information-on-covid-19/
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/virtual-recovery-resources.pdf
- MN Coalition Against Sexual Assault: https://www.mncasa.org/survivor-resources/victim-survivor-support-during-covid-19/
- MN Outfront: https://www.outfront.org/covid-19-specific-resources
- MN Food HelpLine: http://www.hungersolutions.org/programs/mn-food-helpline/
- HousingLink: https://housinglink.org/HousingResources/covid-19-resources-for-renters
- Milady Disinfectant Certification: https://www.miladytraining.com/courses/infection-control
- Barbicide Covid-19 Certification: https://barbicide.com/certification/
Wella Professionals https://www.wella.com/professional/en-US/home
- JOIN THE #WELLAHAIRUSA FAMILY! Follow us on Instagram @wellahairusa and tag your best creations using #askforwella and @wellahairusa to get the chance to be featured across our digital channels!
- Download the Wella Professionals Education App (iPhone or iPad only) https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wella-professionals-education/id937712338
- Subscribe to their monthly newsletter https://www.wella.com/professional/en-US/subscribe
OPI Service Education courses https://www.opi.com/professionals/opi-service-education
- Navigate OPI Service Education courses including Nail Anatomy, Sanitation, Nail Lacquer, Infinite Shine, GelColor, ProSpa, and Powder Perfection.
Associated Skin Care Professionals https://www.ascpskincare.com/
- Premium Student Access: Free website/online portfolio builder; career toolkits; marketing materials
- Free Weekly Skin Care Webinars (note some webinars offered contain Advanced Practice Techniques) https://www.ascpskincare.com/updates/blog-posts/free-weekly-skin-care-webinars
The International Dermal Institute http://www.dermalinstitute.com/
- Check out the Learning Library: Articles, Blogs, Videos, Webisodes, and Podcasts
Massage Therapy Students:
Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards
- MBLEx Informational Videos: https://www.fsmtb.org/information-for-schools/fsmtb-informational-videos/
- The MBLEx Study Guide is still available. This could be a good time to prepare for the exam and keep your knowledge fresh. Go to www.fsmtb.org/mblex/study-guide/order/.
- The MBLEx Check online practice exam is available through the Regulatory Education and Competence Hub (REACH). Go to https://reach4ce.org/index.