If you need a resolution to focus on for 2015, consider making it to up your dress for the job you want. Dressing well can have an impact on how you feel about yourself as well as your career. The show What Not to Wear became a hit showing the impact looking good can have on your personal as well as professional life.
We’ve all heard the saying, “You only get one chance to make a first impression”. That first impression impacts how people see you and treat you. And working in the cosmetology field, where improving appearances is your job, makes it a must-do.
Cosmetology is creative and your look should promote your creativity, personality and talent. It should appeal to the type of client you want to attract and the career you want to have.
You are your own best advertising. You have the opportunity to be the expert that your clients go to for all things fashion and beauty. Plan your look from hair and makeup through clothes and accessories. Think about the type of client you want to attract and dress one step up.
Paying attention to your own look will not only benefit your career, but looking good improves your own confidence. That confidence will attract attention and potential clients. You can feel good about yourself and increase your income at the same time.
Keeping up on new hair, makeup and fashion trends will attract customers and can also lead to increased commissions on products. If you choose to specialize in a treatment or product line, make sure you are using it yourself. Your customers will want to know what you are doing to look good.
Professional Dress – What to Wear
Dressing for the job you want shows that you are ambitious and professional. As a hair stylist, you can have fun and be creative. Do pay attention to fit, cleanliness and practicality in the process.
Dress the way your clients want to look so they are comfortable coming to you for their new look and product advice. As a hair stylist, you will be keeping up on the latest in hair news. Partner that with fashion and makeup advice. Find fashion blogs with your desired look to follow and share.
Fit is more important than price or trend. Whatever style you choose, make sure that your clothes fit correctly. Keep your look classy and modest to appeal to a broader range of client.
You will be on your feet a lot. Buy shoes that are comfortable as well as good looking. Your clothes will also be exposed to the products you use as a hair stylist. Make sure they are washable and not easily stained or damaged. They need to be comfortable and appropriate for the work you do as well as project your creative and professional image.
Looking the part goes beyond the walls of work. You can meet potential clients anywhere and you want to be able to share what you do with pride. You don’t have to look work appropriate all the time. Just make sure you are well put together when you are shopping or out with friends.
Cosmetology is a visual and creative career. Your clients will pay attention to how you look. Dressing for success is something that you need to focus on.
Building a wardrobe
Building a wardrobe is a process. Most of us cannot afford to go out and buy an entirely new work wardrobe. Try these tips:
- Set a budget – Decide what you can spend and break it down into monthly or seasonal increments. Then you can set priorities with what you need.
- Buy basics – Start with black pants, a good pair of jeans, and white t-shirt, white button-down, a crew-neck sweater and a jacket. You can mix and match and change the look of these with jewelry and scarves. As you can afford it, add more pieces to round it out.
- Focus on fit – Fit is more important than price. If your clothes fit you well, you will always look good.
- Spend more on key pieces – A career in cosmetology will mean being on your feet a lot and working with color and other chemicals. You will need good shoes so spend a little more on them. Chances are your shirts will get washed a lot or get stained. Save money on those. Think about the price per wear.
- Watch for deals – Many stores and brands have loyalty programs. You may find your favorite stores and be able to earn discounts.
Cosmetology is a creative field. Have fun with your look and keep it updated. It will pay off in how you feel about yourself and in the clients you attract.