As the temperatures rise and we spend more time outside, the last thing we want is for our makeup to melt off. Raccoon eyes, oily foundation and smeared lipstick (that has found its way to our teeth) can mimic the look our four-year-old gave us while playing dress-up. We tell her it’s beautiful, but the truth is, it’s just not a good look.
So whether we’re hitting the beach this summer or catching rays from the comforts of our own backyard, here are eleven essential summer beauty products, with drugstore and high-end suggestions for each one.
Makeup artists share the philosophy of professional painters when it comes to starting the job with a good primer. A makeup primer preps the skin and helps the makeup adhere all day long. It’s one of the best summer makeup tips used by pros and beginners alike.
- Drugstore: Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
- High-end: LORAC POREfection Mattifying Face Primer
2. TINTED MOISTURIZER
Makeup for warm weather is different than makeup for cold weather. Most of us are swapping out our heavy foundations in favor of BB creams and tinted moisturizers. And let’s not forget the SPF! These two lightweight options have an SPF built into them, keeping you looking flawless and protected at the same time.
- Drugstore: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Broad Spectrum SPF 20
- High-end: NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30
3. WATERPROOF CONCEALER
Concealer is a must-have for those of us with dark circles as a result of a lack of sleep or good old-fashioned genetics (thanks, Mom). We may also want to spot-treat pesky blemishes or scars. Using a waterproof concealer during the summer months will keep problem areas covered throughout the day.
- Drugstore: NYX Concealer Stick
- High-end: Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer
4. CHEEK STAIN
When it’s 90 degrees out, powder blush might separate and look cakey after a while. A good alternative might be to use a cream blush or cheek stain. Applied to the apples of the cheeks, a cheek stain can make you look like you’re glowing from within.
Bronzer is one of the most popular summer beauty products. It brings color and dimension to the high points of the face, resembling a sun-kissed glow on the forehead, cheekbones, chin and nose.
- Drugstore: CoverGirl truBLEND Minerals Bronzer
- High-end: Too Faced Endless Summer 16 Hour Long-Wear Bronzer
6. MINERAL SETTING POWDER
Less is more when it comes to using powders in the summer. A very light sweeping of mineralized setting powder can set your face makeup in place and help absorb any oils throughout the day, whereas a heavy-handed application can look muddy after a while.
- Drugstore: NYX Mineral “Set It & Don’t Fret It” Matte Finishing Powder
- High-end: bareMinerals’ Mineral Veil
7. CREAM EYESHADOW
Cream eyeshadows wear better in the heat than powder eyeshadows, especially when they’re formulated with long-wearing technology. The cream consistency helps the product absorb into the skin as opposed to sitting on top of it, making it a beauty essential for summertime.
- Drugstore: Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Shadow
- High-end: Smashbox Limitless 15 Hour Wear Cream Shadow
8. WATERPROOF EYELINER
Special events such as outdoor weddings in the hot summer months shouldn’t keep you from looking as glamorous as you want for fear that your makeup will melt down your face. Waterproof eyeliners – whether in pencil, gel or liquid formulations – will make for a “no sweat” scenario.
- Drugstore: e.l.f. Essential Waterproof Eyeliner Pen
- High-end: Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
9. WATERPROOF MASCARA
A list of hot weather beauty products would not be complete without waterproof mascara. Granted, it’s harder to remove than regular mascara, but that’s the price to be paid for looking smudge-proof and bright-eyed all day long.
- Drugstore: Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara
- High-end: LANCÔME Définicils Waterproof High Definition Mascara
10. TINTED LIP BALM
Heavy lipstick in the summer? No way! A tinted lip balm is a much more practical option, especially if it touts an SPF.
- Drugstore: Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm SPF 20
- High-end: Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15
11. SETTING SPRAY
A setting spray is like hairspray for the face. It sets everything in place and helps your hard work last all day long, come rain or shine.
- Drugstore: e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set
- High-end: Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray