Just when we finally get some summer-like weather, it’s hard to believe that school is just around the corner again! Irene Grossklaus, an instructor at Minnesota School of Cosmetology-Woodbury, shares the cool trends that are hot this fall to make your wardrobe fun and functional for your first day back.
- Prints, textures and patterns are here in big way – You’ll be seeing head-to-toe patterned and textured looks. Abstract, ikat, plaids, stripes, dots and more. If you want to try the look, add a plaid or tribal top and add a solid pant. You might also consider a patterned accessory such as a plaid purse, scarf or even a patterned flat.
- Get the right boot and kick your way into the fall season with style – Yes, boots are not new but the super über thigh-high boot is once again making the scene, so find something that is fun, bold and fresh. But don’t blow your entire budget on boots. The colors that are hot this fall may not be next fall.
- The heels vary in height and type, so get the style that you can actually walk in when the winter weather hits. From platforms to wedges, chunky to demure, pilgrim to catwalk, explore the possibilities. Color your world with fun shoes. With miles to walk, run and explore, kick off the school year in color trend with high and low top tennis shoes, pumps and flats with outlandish colors, pastels, patterns and the new look of metallic leather.
- What girl doesn’t love to add to her shoe collection? This year the colors are over the moon. Since the color blocking trend started last year, you can try adding a color to an outfit, giving you a playful way to stand out but not stick out.
- Your day is busy and you deserve to be comfy so be sure your shoes fit you well. A good tip when buying shoes is to always buy them late in the day when your feet are tired. Also wear them at home a few hours at a time to break them in before you wear them to school.
- Hats, headbands and caps – The floral trend in dressing is even lending itself to headgear in playful floral headbands. It may have something to do with the royal wedding last year and the introduction of the mini style hats or fascinators.
- Enjoy being a girl with lace and fitted dress to accentuate those curves—sugar and spice and everything nice. Lace, ruffles, peplums and puffy shoulders reminiscent of the 1970-80’s are back. It is always fun to see how styles come back and are reborn anew. This is a year to showcase the female form and show your curves in body hugging dresses.
- Another idea is to pair a bright lace top with black pants.
- Jeans with style – The skinny jean is still strong, as is the boyfriend jean with the comfy fit and casual style and jeggings.
- The slim or skinny jean works for most figures if you get the proper fit and balance with a great long blazer, sweater or blouse. The boyfriend jean looks great if you combine it with a slim top. It’s never a good idea to combine a full cut style, unless you weigh 90 pounds or want to look like giant box. The jeggings are great with a large oversized sweater or blouse. Just be sure the fit on the jeans is flattering to you.
- New for fall are the brocade and patterned jeans. Be sure to add a few pair or two of the colored jeans to the wardrobe, too.
- Remember the rule of thumb. Fit your figure and the fashion will flatter you!
- If it’s too tight it will actually make you look heavier, fit is key to a fabulous jean.
- Long sweaters and leggings. I love when the weather gets cooler and sweaters come out and snuggle with the skinny pants or jeans. Comfortable and stylish, tunic sweaters make the season even more lively and can go dressy or campus chic. Belt or add a scarf and you’ve taken the average sweater to sensational!
By: Irene Grossklaus, Minnesota School of Cosmetology Woodbury Instructor